The most common health issues for pets are:
- Open wounds
- Broken bones
- Labored breathing
- Parasites and infections
- Bee stings
If your pet has become injured or if their health is in danger, be sure to call our office right away. You should get to our office as quickly as possible so that they can get immediate medical attention. We can get a room ready for you so that we can provide care immediately upon your arrival. If your pet has ingested something that is potentially dangerous to them, we can provide some guidance on how to help them expel it. Contact our team as soon as possible so that we can provide some guidance on how to handle any specific pet health crisis.
Open wounds can be very scary for pet parents, especially if they are serious. If possible, put pressure on the area using a cloth or gauze to help stop the bleeding. This can help to form a clot in the area until you are able to get your pet to our Houston emergency vet. We can stitch up any wounds and clean them to minimize risk of infection.
If your pet has a broken bone or injured limb, be very careful when transporting them. Try to move them as little as possible, and keep them calm while you are traveling to our office. If possible, try to carry them on a stretcher or another flat surface that could support their weight. Keep your pet as still as possible to avoid worsening any possible injury like broken bones or internal bleeding. Have someone sit with them in the car during transport to keep them calm until you can get to our Houston emergency vet.
Ingestion of certain foods, plants, and household cleaning products can lead to poisoning in your pet. Depending on what is eaten and how much can greatly impact the outcome of the situation. This is why you need to contact our office as quickly as possible when your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t. You should also try to induce vomiting to help try and save them from serious internal damage. To help your pet throw up, have them drink about a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per five pounds of their weight. This will make your pet throw up within a few minutes and will hopefully have them expel anything that could poison them. Call our office if you think your pet has eaten anything dangerous so we can give you further instructions of how to handle the situation.